Practical Chemical Applications
November 6, 2021
January 8, 2022
Target Skill Level :
Junior High School
Day of the week:
Chemistry in our Everyday Life
Introduction for reactions
- Cooking is chemistry
- Introduction to acid-base reactions - why does baking soda cause things to rise?
- Oxidation-reduction (redox) reactions - how do batteries work?
Why do we need a match to start a fire?
- Reaction rates
- Elementary reactions
Why can a battery explode?
- Endothermic and exothermic processes
- Heat transfer and thermal equilibrium
What the heck is pH, and why should we care?
- Introduction to acids and bases
- pH and pOH of strong acids and bases
- Weak acid and base equilibria
- Acid-base reactions and buffers
- Acid-base titrations
- Molecular structures of acids and bases
- pH and pKa
- Properties of buffers
Why does my room get messy all by itself?
- Introduction to entropy
- Absolute entropy and entropy change
- Free energy and equilibrium